A Woman’s Exchange “is a depot or salesroom where any woman from the richest lady in the land to the poorest can place the work of her fingers and offer it for sale.”

Located in one of the few remaining 19th-century French Quarter stable buildings, The Exchange Shop follows the long tradition of Women’s Exchanges across the country, and represents a number of Louisiana women artists, including painters, ceramicists and jewelry designers. In addition to consigned artworks, The Exchange Shop offers locally designed and produced artisanal goods including books, toys, tableware, textiles, accessories, and logo merchandise.

The Woman’s Exchange, established in New Orleans in 1881 as the Christian Woman’s Exchange, remains one of the oldest women’s nonprofits in the South. Originally founded as a human services organization whose mission was to help women “in-need” after the Civil War, The Woman’s Exchange has evolved into a leading historic preservation and interpretation institution, overseeing both Hermann-Grima + Gallier Historic Houses.